600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! "Calvary Weekly News": April 27-May 4, 2014
- Month at a Glance": April 2014
- April 24, 2014, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm
- April 28, 2014, Joint Board, 6:30 pm, followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 30, 2014, May 2014 Newsletter Assembly Team, 2:00 pm
- April 30, 2014, Weekly Bible Study, 12 Noon (Burke Room)
- April 30, 2014, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 4, 2014, Third Sunday of Easter, Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am, Women's Fellowship Chicken Pie Fund Raiser Luncheon and Dedication of the newly-renovated Fellowship Hall, 12 Noon
- May 11, 2014, Fourth Sunday of Easter and Mother's Day, Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am
- May 14, 2014, June 2014 Newsletter Closing, 4:30 pm
- May 18, 2014, Fifth Sunday of Easter and Moravian Music Sunday, 121st Anniversary Lovefeast of Calvary Moravian Church, 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am
- May 25, 2014, Sixth Sunday of Easter, Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am
- May 26, 2014, Memorial Day, Provincial Holiday, Church Office closed
- May 30, 2014, June 2014 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- June 1, 2014, Seventh Sunday of Easter, Ascension Sunday and Graduate Recognition Sunday, Youth Sunday Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications
- Calvary's 2014 Watchword: "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Let your good spirit lead me on a level path." (Psalm 143:10).