600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: September 23-October 2, 2016
- TIME TO SIGN UP!!!! Calvary's NEW PICTORIAL DIRECTORY is coming! CLICK HERE for details!
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- NEW! "Lovefeast In A Box" order form for 2016. Order now through December 4, 2016!! Print out and mail in or bring form to Calvary. Additional order forms available at Calvary.
- September 2016 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- September 2016 Church Calendar
- Fall 2016 Women's Fellowship Chicken Pies Order Form. 1st available, September 25. Print this order form and mail to Calvary or bring by the church office. Additional dates pies will be available: Oct. 9, Oct. 23 and Nov. 6.
- September 26, 2016, Moravian Ministers Retreat through Sept. 29 (Laurel Ridge)
- September 27, 2016, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- September 28, 2016, October 2016 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- September 28, 2016, Weekly Wednesday Bible Study, 12 Noon (Burke)
- September 28, 2016, Calvary @ The Table Dinner and Programs, 5:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- September 28, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- October 2, 2016, Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost and World Communion Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship with Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- October 2, 2016, Flower Reservations for 2017 open at worship time
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's 2016 Congregational Watchword (drawn on January 3, 2016): "For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light - for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true." (Ephesians 5:8-9)
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.