600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- GRADUATING THIS SPRING? Please call the church office with graduate information. Graduates will be recognized during worship on May 31!
- NEW! "Calvary Weekly News": May 22-31, 2015
- May 2015 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" newsletter. Other Calvary publications available under "Downloads and Links."
- "Month at a Glance": May 2015
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- May 22-25, 2015, Memorial Day Weekend, Church Office closed on May 25
- May 24, 2015, Day of Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- May 26, 2015, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 27, 2015, June 2015 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- May 27, 2015, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 31, 2015, Trinity Sunday, and Youth/Baccalaureate Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 1, 2015, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- June 8, 2015, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- June 7, 2015, Second Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 10, 2015, July 2015 Newsletter Closing Date/Time, 4:30 pm
- June 14, 2015, Third Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 21, 2015, Fourth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 24, 2015, July 2015 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- June 28, 2015, Fifth Sunday after Pentecost and Observance of National Occasions, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- July 3, 2015, July 4th Holiday (Church Office closed)
- July 4, 2015, Independence Day Morning Worship (sponsored by Home Church), 8:30 am (Salem Square)
- July 5, 2015, Sixth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, John Hus Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications
- Calvary's 2015 Watchword: "I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:6).