600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME ENDS -- SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2. Turn your clocks back one hour!
- NEW and JUST RELEASED!! November 2014 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter
- "Calvary Weekly News": October 24-November 2, 2014
- "Month at a Glance": October 2014
- NEW! "Month at a Glance": November 2014
- November 2, 2014, 21st Sunday after Pentecost, Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am, 2014 Stewardship Emphasis begins, Stewardship Luncheon and Fall Church Council after worship (Fellowship Hall)
- November 9, 2014, 22nd Sunday after Pentecost, Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am, Stewardship Emphasis continues
- November 12, 2014, Last Wednesday Weekly 12 Noon Bible Study until January 2015 (Burke)
- November 16, 2014, 23rd Sunday after Pentecost, Worship at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am, Stewardship Emphasis continues
- November 23, 2014, Christ the King Sunday, Stewardship Commitment Sunday and Thanksgiving lovefeast, 11:00 am
- November 28, 2014, Decoration of the sanctuary and church building for Advent and Christmas (afternoon and evening)
- November 30, 2014, First Sunday in Advent, Worship with Advent Liturgy and "Hosanna" anthem at 11:00 am, Sunday School at 9:45 am
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications
- Calvary's 2014 Watchword: "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Let your good spirit lead me on a level path." (Psalm 143:10).