600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- Calvary Weekly News: May 19-29, 2016
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- May 2016 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- May 2016 Calendar
- Calvary Moravian Friends May 26 Tour!
- May 24, 2016, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 25, 2016, June 2016 Newsletter Assembly, 10:00 am (2nd floor foyer)
- May 25, 2016, Weekly Bible Study, 12 Noon (Burke) [last session until fall 2016)
- May 25, 2016, Safe Sanctuary, 3:30 pm (Burke)
- May 25, 2016, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- May 26, 2016, Calvary Moravian Friends Tour of New Winston Museum, 1:00 pm
- May 27-30, 2016, Memorial Day Weekend, Church Office Closed on May 30
- May 29, 2016, Second Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 29, 2016, Inquirer's Class IV (last class), 9:30 am (Fellowship Hall)
- May 30, 2016, Memorial Day, Provincial Holiday, Church Office Closed All Day
- June 1, 2016, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- June 5, 2016, Third Sunday after Pentecost and Youth Sunday/Graduate Recognition, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's 2016 Congregational Watchword (drawn on January 3, 2016): "For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light - for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true." (Ephesians 5:8-9)
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.