600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- Calvary Weekly News: February 17-26, 2017
- Calvary Congregation Watchword for 2017 (drawn on January 1): [Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples:] "I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)
- NEW! March 2017 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- Latest Calvary Calendar: February 2017
- February 26, 2017, Transfiguration Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- February 28, 2017, Stephens Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- March 1, 2017, Ash Wednesday, Pancake Supper, 5:00 pm (Fellowship Hall), Service of Holy Communion and the Imposition of Ashes, 6:30 pm (Sanctuary)
- March 5, 2017, First Sunday in Lent, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship with Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- March 5, 2017, Day of Prayer Lovefeast at Christ Moravian Church, 2:00 pm, The Reverend Kelly Moore, speaker
- March 22, 2017, Day of Prayer at Calvary, Reception, 9:45 am (Fellowship Hall), Worship, 11:00 am (Sanctuary), The Reverend Dr. Nola Reed Knouse, speaker
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.