600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: August 27-September 11, 2016
- NEW! Calvary's NEW PICTORIAL DIRECTORY is coming! CLICK HERE for details!
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- NEW! September 2016 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- August 2016 Calendar
- NEW! September 2016 Church Calendar
- Fall 2016 Women's Fellowship Chicken Pies Order Form. 1st available, September 25. Print this order form and mail to Calvary or bring by the church office. Additional dates pies will be available: Oct. 9, Oct. 23 and Nov. 6.
- August 28, 2016, Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- August 28, 2016, Youth and Children Seasonal Information session, after worship (lunch included)
- September 4, 2016, Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- September 5, 2016, Labor Day Holiday, Church Office Closed
- September 7, 2016, Chancel Choir rehearsals resume, 7:00 pm
- September 8, 2016, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- September 10, 2016, Calvary parking lot available for Bookmarks event, 7:00 am to 2:00 pm
- September 10, 2016, 90th Birthday Celebration for Blanche Stone, 4:00 pm social hour, 5:00 pm dinner (Fellowship Hall)
- September 11, 2016, Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost and Christian Education Sunday, Commissioning of Sunday School Teachers, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am, "Second Sunday" barbecue luncheon (after worship)
- September 12, 2016, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- September 12, 2016, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- September 13, 2016, Wachovia Historical Society, 4:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- September 13, 2016, Circle #3, 7:00 pm (residence of Jean Fordham)
- September 14, 2016, Calvary Moravian Friends Planning, 10:15 am (Burke)
- September 14, 2016, October 2016 Newsletter Closing, 4:30 pm
- September 14, 2016, Calvary @ The Table Dinner and Programs, 5:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- September 14, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- September 18, 2016, Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- September 19, 2016, Joint Board, 6:30 pm (Fellowship Hall), followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- September 20, 2016, RCC Monthly Meeting, 7:00 pm (location TBD)
- September 21, 2016, Calvary @ The Table Dinner and Programs, 5:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- September 21, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- September 25, 2016, Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- September 27, 2016, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- September 28, 2016, October 2016 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- September 28, 2016, Calvary @ The Table Dinner and Programs, 5:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- September 28, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- October 2, 2016, Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost and World Communion Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship with Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- October 2, 2016, Flower Reservations for 2017 open at worship time
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's 2016 Congregational Watchword (drawn on January 3, 2016): "For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light - for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true." (Ephesians 5:8-9)
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.