600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! "Calvary Weekly News": January 30-February 8, 2015
- February 2015 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications available under "Downloads and Links."
- "Month at a Glance": January 2015
- Month at a Glance": February 2015
- February 1, 2015, Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany, Worship, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am
- February 1, 2015, "Come and Worship" Group, 12 Noon (Fellowship Hall)
- February 2, 2015, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- February 4, 2015, Weekly Bible Study, 12 Noon (Burke)
- February 4, 2015, Calvary @ The Table Dinner and Programs, Dinner, 5:00 pm, Programs, 6:00 pm
- February 4, 2015, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- February 5, 2015, Catechism Class, 4:00 pm (Burke)
- February 7, 2015, Downtown Church Center Supper, 5:00 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- February 8, 2015, Fifth Sunday after the Epiphany, Worship, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications
- Calvary's 2014 Watchword: "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Let your good spirit lead me on a level path." (Psalm 143:10).