600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Holy Week 2015 Calendar of Events.
- NEW! "Calvary Weekly News": March 27-April 5, 2015
- NEW! April 2015 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications available under "Downloads and Links."
- "Month at a Glance": March 2015
- NEW! "Month at a Glance": April 2015
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- March 27, 2015, Youth Lock-In for Palm Sunday Weekend
- March 29, 2015, Palm Sunday, Worship and Confirmation of Catechism Class participants, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Flowering of the Cross (on the lawn after worship)
- March 29, 2015, Easter Band rehearsal, 2:15 pm (Home Church)
- March 29, 2015, Palm Sunday Evening Reading Service, 7:00 pm
- March 30, 2015, Holy Week Reading Service, 7:00 pm
- March 31, 2015, Holy Week Reading Service, 7:00 pm
- April 1, 2015, Holy Week Reading Service, 7:00 pm
- April 2, 2015, Maundy Thursday Holy Communion, 7:00 pm
- April 3, 2015, Good Friday Crucifixion Service, 2:15 pm
- April 3, 2015, Good Friday Lovefeast, 7:00 pm
- April 4, 2015, Great Sabbath Service of Music of Salem Congregation, 7:00 pm (Home Church)
- April 5, 2015, The Resurrection Service, 6:15 am (begins in front of Home Church); The Reverend Joe Moore, presiding minister
- April 5, 2015, Missions Fundraiser Breakfast, following the Easter Sunrise Service, 7:15-10:00 am (Fellowship Hall)
- April 5, 2015, Easter Morning Liturgy and Sermon at Calvary, 11:00 am (no Sunday School)
- April 6, 2015, Easter Monday/Provincial Holiday, Church Office Closed
- April 12, 2015, Second Sunday of Easter, Worship, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am
- April 15, 2015, May 2015 Newsletter closing, 4:30 pm
- April 19, 2015, Third Sunday of Easter, Worship, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am
- April 20, 2015, Joint Board, 6:30 pm (Fellowship Hall), followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 26, 2015, Fourth Sunday of Easter, Worship, 11:00 am, Sunday School,. 9:45 am
- April 29, 2015, May 2015 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- May 3, 2015, Fifth Sunday of Easter and Moravian Music Sunday, Calvary's 122nd Anniversary, Lovefeast, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications
- Calvary's 2015 Watchword: "I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:6).