600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: June 24-July 3, 2016
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- June 2016 "Calvary Mid-Month Newsletter." Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- June 2016 Calendar
- June 29, 2016, July 2016 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am (2nd floor foyer)
- July 3, 2016, Seventh Sunday after Pentecost and Observance of "National Occasions," Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- July 4, 2016, Independence Day Holiday/Provincial Holiday (Church Office closed all day)
- July 4, 2016, Independence Day Service, 8:30 am (Salem Square), sponsored by Home Church; Moravian Band prelude beginning at 8:00 a.m.
- July 5, 2016, Salem Band Concert, 7:30 pm (Salem Square); theme: "Annual Patriotic Concert"
- July 10, 2016, Eighth Sunday after Pentecost and Observance of the Martyrdom of John Hus (July 6, 1415), Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- July 17, 2016, Ninth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- July 18, 2016, Joint Board, 6:30 pm (Fellowship Hall), followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- July 24, 2016, Tenth Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- July 31, 2016, Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's 2016 Congregational Watchword (drawn on January 3, 2016): "For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light - for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true." (Ephesians 5:8-9)
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.