600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! "Calvary Weekly News": December 19-28, 2014
- "Calvary Mid-Month Update" Newsletter for December 2014. Other Calvary publications available under "Downloads and Links."
- "Month at a Glance": December 2014
- December 21, 2014, Fourth Sunday of Advent, "Lessons and Carols" Service, 11:00 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am
- December 24, 2014, Christmas Eve Lovefeasts, 11:00 am, 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm
- December 25, 2014, Christmas Day: The Nativity of Our Lord
- December 25-26, 2014, Christmas Holidays, Church Office closed both days
- December 28, 2014, First Sunday after Christmas, "Readings and Carols" Service, 11:00 am (no Sunday School)
- December 31, 2014, January 2015 Newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am
- December 31, 2014, New Year's Eve Watchnight Lovefeast, 11:00 pm (at Konnoak Moravian)
- January 1, 2015, New Year's Day Holiday, Church Office Closed
- January 4, 2015, Second Sunday after Christmas, Epiphany Communion, 11:00 am, Installation of the Joint Board during worship, Sunday School at 9:45 am
- January 11, 2015, First Sunday after the Epiphany and observance of The Baptism of Our Lord, Sunday School at 9:45 am; Worship at 11:00 am
- January 18, 2015, Second Sunday after the Epiphany, Sunday School, 9:45 am; Worship, 11:00 am
- January 19, 2015, Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday, Church Office Closed
- January 25, 2015, Third Sunday after the Epiphany, Sunday School, 9:45 am; Worship, 11:00 am
- January 26, 2015, Joint Board, 6:30 pm, Elders and Trustees meetings to follow
- January 28, 2015, Calvary @ The Table Wednesday evening dinner and programs resume, 5:00 pm
- January 29, 2015, Catechism Classes resume, 4:00 pm
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications
- Calvary's 2014 Watchword: "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Let your good spirit lead me on a level path." (Psalm 143:10).