600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Throughout the year the Moravian church celebrates Lovefeast. This unique service traces its roots to the early centuries of Christianity when believers would share table fellowship as a way of demonstrating their love for Christ and for one another. Though lovefeast is not a sacrament of our church, it is an opportunity to experience through a shared meal the gift of God's love. Lovefeasts are usually celebrated on special feast days (e.g. Christmas and Easter) and on special memorial days of the Moravian Church.
The Moravian Church’s celebration of the Lovefeast recalls a special event in the history of our denomination on August 13, 1727. Early Moravians lived in a communal society. The church was facing difficulties. As the members met in the church they experienced spiritual renewal led by the Holy Spirit. Because of this experience they did not wish to end the service. Facing the practical need to eat they decided to continue their worship but to bring food and eat together in the service. This experience known as the renewal of the Moravian church is celebrated annually on the Sunday nearest August 13th.
The modern Lovefeast meal consists of a Moravian bun and coffee. Celebrants sing hymns built around a scriptural theme during the serving and enjoy sacred choral music while partaking of the lovefeast. Lovefeasts are held on the following occasions during the church year:
In This Section
News & Events
- Calvary Weekly News: December 1-11, 2016
- December 2016 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- December 2016 Calvary Calendar
- December 7, 2016, "Festival of Lights" tour, 7:00 pm; meet at CVS at Lewisville-Clemmons Road by 6:00 pm or at the Tanglewood stables by 6:40 pm
- December 7, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- December 8, 2016, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- December 10, 2016, Christmas Pageant Rehearsal, 9:00 am, "Visit with St. Nick," 10:00 am
- December 11, 2016, Third Sunday of Advent, Breakfast, 8:30 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Annual Christmas Pageant, 11:00 am, Lunch followed by Homebound/Residential visits and "Caroling and Cookies", 12 Noon
- December 12, 2016, January 2017 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter closing date, 4:30 pm
- December 12, 2016, Joint Board, 6:30 pm (Fellowship Hall), followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- December 13, 2016, Circle #3, 6:00 pm (residence of Mary Bland)
- December 13, 2016, Overflow Shelter Lovefeast, 8:00 pm (Augsburg Lutheran)
- December 14, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- December 18, 2016, Fourth Sunday of Advent, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship with Lessons and Carols Service, 11:00 am
- December 21, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- December 24, 2016, Christmas Eve Lovefeast and Candle Services, 11:00 am, 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm
- December 25, 2016, Christmas Day: The Nativity of Our Lord, Worship, 11:00 am (no Sunday School)
- December 26-27, 2016, Christmas Holidays (Church Office closed)
- December 28, 2016, January 2017 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am (2nd floor foyer)
- January 1, 2017, First Sunday after Christmas, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am, Distribution of 2017 watchwords
- January 8, 2017, First Sunday after the Epiphany and observance of the Baptism of our Lord, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am, Installation of the 2017 Joint Board during worship
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's 2016 Congregational Watchword (drawn on January 3, 2016): "For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light - for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true." (Ephesians 5:8-9)
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.