600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Christmas Eve Lovefeasts
The Christmas Eve Lovefeast and Candle Service celebrates the Nativity of our Lord. This service includes the singing of traditional Christmas carols, the reading of the Christmas Story from St. Luke's gospel and a Lovefeast.
At the end of the service candles are distributed. The lights are dimmed and on the last verse of the concluding hymn congregants raise their candles high remembering Christ's words, "I am the light of the world" and "Ye are the light of the world — let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.".
Services are held each Christmas Eve at the following times:
- 11:00 am
- 4:00 pm
- 8:00 pm
A band prelude precedes each service and a nursery is available for infants and small children.
In This Section
News & Events
- Calvary Weekly News: December 1-11, 2016
- December 2016 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- December 2016 Calvary Calendar
- December 7, 2016, "Festival of Lights" tour, 7:00 pm; meet at CVS at Lewisville-Clemmons Road by 6:00 pm or at the Tanglewood stables by 6:40 pm
- December 7, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- December 8, 2016, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- December 10, 2016, Christmas Pageant Rehearsal, 9:00 am, "Visit with St. Nick," 10:00 am
- December 11, 2016, Third Sunday of Advent, Breakfast, 8:30 am, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Annual Christmas Pageant, 11:00 am, Lunch followed by Homebound/Residential visits and "Caroling and Cookies", 12 Noon
- December 12, 2016, January 2017 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter closing date, 4:30 pm
- December 12, 2016, Joint Board, 6:30 pm (Fellowship Hall), followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- December 13, 2016, Circle #3, 6:00 pm (residence of Mary Bland)
- December 13, 2016, Overflow Shelter Lovefeast, 8:00 pm (Augsburg Lutheran)
- December 14, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- December 18, 2016, Fourth Sunday of Advent, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship with Lessons and Carols Service, 11:00 am
- December 21, 2016, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- December 24, 2016, Christmas Eve Lovefeast and Candle Services, 11:00 am, 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm
- December 25, 2016, Christmas Day: The Nativity of Our Lord, Worship, 11:00 am (no Sunday School)
- December 26-27, 2016, Christmas Holidays (Church Office closed)
- December 28, 2016, January 2017 "Calvary Connection" monthly newsletter Assembly Team, 10:00 am (2nd floor foyer)
- January 1, 2017, First Sunday after Christmas, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am, Distribution of 2017 watchwords
- January 8, 2017, First Sunday after the Epiphany and observance of the Baptism of our Lord, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am, Installation of the 2017 Joint Board during worship
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's 2016 Congregational Watchword (drawn on January 3, 2016): "For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light - for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true." (Ephesians 5:8-9)
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.